Maine Coon is considered a quite healthy breed. Though there are some diseases that may occur, and that the breeders has to take into consideration, as well as using DNA-tests to prevent them from spreading through breeding.
There are other tests one might perform, but breeders in NRR are not obligated to test further than DNA. All further testing is up to the breeders to decide whether or not they want to perform them.
The obligated DNA tests are:
– HCM (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy)
– SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy)
– PK (Pyruvate Kinase deficiency)
unless it’s inherited N/N.
Other tests that are highly relevant, but breeders are not obligated to perform:
– HD (feline Hip Dysplasia)
– HCM screening (see HCM)
Other relevant info regarding health:
– FORL (Feline Oral Resorptive Lesions)
– Gum diseases (Gingevitis, periodontitis og stomatitis)